Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lit Circle Letter #2: Bastard out of Carolina

I think the second part of the book or I mean paper clip is kind of boring… It’s not as interesting as the first part. I don’t know… I guess it’s because how Bone’s step dad was raping her. He raped her twice. And the way that the author was describing that was pretty intense. I really had like a visual affect of that happening… Like it’s very clear in my mind and stuff. It seemed so real. I still hate Glen for doing that to Bone.

This book is boring and all but there are only certain parts that catch my eye. During the second part of the story the only thing that caught my eye was when Shannon was talking shit about Bone and her family. And I remember when in the first part of the book, Bone was this quiet little girl who was only maybe 9? Not even 10 yet. And she was a very clueless girl who doesn’t know what’s happening. But then when Shannon said that about her family, Bone got all mad and then told her to “fuck off” Later at a picnic, Shannon practically lit herself on fire then she died. Bones was like right in front of her too! She saw her die just like that. Why did she do that? What happened to innocent little Bone? All of a sudden she got all this confidence in herself. How did that happen so fast?

Honestly, I wish we could’ve chosen a better book to read. I mean, this book is okay, like some parts are really good to read and I have to admit, Dorothy Allison is really one hell of a writer; she make things look so real in your mind. But for some parts, I don’t even know what’s happening or who those people are or where they are even at.

No comments:

Post a Comment